What Does Underground Railroad In Nj Look Like Today? (Suits you)

Was there an underground railroad in New Jersey?

  • In the years preceding the American Civil War, New Jersey was a major route for slaves escaping their masters in the South. The legendary Underground Railroad (UGRR), which was neither underground nor a railroad, is preserved today at sites throughout the region.

Is the Underground Railroad still there today?

It includes four buildings, two of which were used by Harriet Tubman. Ashtabula County had over thirty known Underground Railroad stations, or safehouses, and many more conductors. Nearly two-thirds of those sites still stand today.

Was there an Underground Railroad in New Jersey?

In the years preceding the American Civil War, New Jersey was a major route for slaves escaping their masters in the South. The legendary Underground Railroad (UGRR), which was neither underground nor a railroad, is preserved today at sites throughout the region.

Where in NJ was the Underground Railroad?

Runaways would be taken to one of the four main starting points on New Jersey’s Underground Railroad: Cape May, Greenwich/Springtown, Salem or Port Republic. Traveling north to Camden or Mount Holly, they would be funneled into one of central New Jersey’s seven major escape routes.

Why do you think New Jersey had so many stations on the Underground Railroad?

New Jersey was also an ideal spot for the Underground Railroad because of its many access points. While some came to NJ from Delaware by crossing the bay, others made their way into the state from Pennsylvania.

Were there tunnels in the Underground Railroad?

Contrary to popular belief, the Underground Railroad was not a series of underground tunnels. While some people did have secret rooms in their houses or carriages, the vast majority of the Underground Railroad involved people secretly helping people running away from slavery however they could.

What states was the Underground Railroad in?

Most of the enslaved people helped by the Underground Railroad escaped border states such as Kentucky, Virginia and Maryland. In the deep South, the Fugitive Slave Act of 1793 made capturing escaped enslaved people a lucrative business, and there were fewer hiding places for them.

Did Harriet Tubman go through New Jersey?

She was the first American woman to plan and lead a military operation, a raid that freed more than 700 slaves. While she spent only a few years in New Jersey, we are proud that her reputation as an icon of freedom and courage began here and proud to have her so well known by schoolchildren across the state.

Was Lawnside NJ part of the Underground Railroad?

The house was residence to Peter Mott, an African-American preacher and his wife, Eliza. It served as a station along the Underground Railroad. The Borough of Lawnside, located eight miles north of Camden, is the only historically African-American incorporated municipality in the northern United States.

What town in Camden County New Jersey served as a station in the Underground Railroad?

Edgewater (at Croft Farm) * End of Bortons Mill Road, off Brace Road Cherry Hill, Camden County (856) 795-6225 This house, constructed in 1741, served in the antebellum period as an Underground Railroad station. It was purchased in 1816 by Thomas Evans, a Quaker abolitionist.

Did the Underground Railroad go through New York?

Abolitionists employed a vast network of churches, safe houses, and community sites in New York, as well as the 445-mile border with Canada, to help emancipate enslaved people.

Why was Jersey City important as the last stop on New Jersey’s Underground Railroad?

Before the Civil War, Jersey City was the last stop on the New Jersey Underground Railroad route for many runaway slaves seeking freedom. The quest for freedom prompted an estimated 100,000 19th century black slaves to make the dangerous journey along the Underground Railroad.

Watching Underground Railroad miniseries? Here are some North Jersey safe houses

The state of New Jersey’s relationship to the Underground Railroad is primarily restricted to the I-95 corridor, with the exception of Harriet Tubman’s summertime stays working at Cape May hotels. Running away through Delaware and southern Pennsylvania to New York City between recognized harbor communities and safe homes was chronicled by a New Jersey Historical Commission study published at the start of the twenty-first century, according to the New Jersey Historical Commission. The Greenwich Line, one of the most well-known Underground Railroad routes, was popularized by New Jersey resident William Still’s 1872 book, “Underground Railroad Record,” which chronicled his experiences on the Underground Railroad.

Hundreds of routes transported enslaved individuals from the South via northern states to Canada, west through Texas to Mexico, and east to the Caribbean until the American Civil War ended their enslavement.

The rest of the story may be found below the gallery.

In 1826, state legislators passed a legislation ordering the return of fugitive slaves to their owners, which became effective immediately.

  1. The Underground Railroad’s secrecy necessitated the preservation of few records; nonetheless, local records indicate that one plausible route passed via Morris, Passaic, and Sussex counties, as well as through New York state.
  2. The route used by others was through Paterson.
  3. In 2019, a feature film was released about Harriet Tubman, who is considered to be the most famous of all the known “conductors” for the emancipation network and is credited with guiding approximately 70 enslaved people to freedom.
  4. The 10-part miniseries based on Colson Whitehead’s novel “The Underground Railroad,” which has just been published on Amazon, is also rekindling interest in the subject matter.

Chimney Ridge Court, Washington Township

Before it became famous for hosting President Theodore Roosevelt, the Zabriskie property known as Seven Chimneys was rumored to have been a haven for runaways. Although the historic home is the oldest structure in the township, it features a secret chamber buried in the attic, as well as an escape route into the neighboring marshes through its kitchen passageway. The house was occupied by Albert Van Emburgh, a native of Paramus, and his wife, Annetje Zabriskie, just before the American Civil War began.

According to records from the National Register of Historic Places, the residence was available to as many as six escaped slaves at a time as they made their way farther north through the South.

Huntoon’s Corner, Broadway, Paterson

By passing through Paterson, another route north diverged from the main route through Newark, Jersey City, or Hoboken and into New York City, which followed the Hudson River. In the 1850s, Josiah Huntoon, the owner of the Excelsior Coffee and Spice Factory on Broadway, joined up with his friend William Van Rensalier to support abolitionism with his money and his company. In collaboration with the Godwin Street African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, the two developed a network. Their collaboration resulted in the establishment of an operation to ferry runaways who traveled through Paterson to a safe haven located in the factory’s basement, which was dismantled in the 1980s.

History: If you’re watching the ‘The Underground Railroad’ miniseries on Amazon, you should pay a visit to some of the locations featured in the show.

Julia Martin Local: If you know where to look, you may find evidence of slavery’s impact all around North Jersey.

Ridgedale Avenue, Madison

It is possible to observe a more distinct “line” along the Underground Railroad about 20 miles southwest of Paterson, passing through the old Rose City. In accordance with Madison Historical Society documents, Boisaubin Manor, which features a hidden tunnel running from a porch column entry to the estate’s barn, was the residence of famed abolitionist Alfred Treadwell. Another local, attorney Baxter Sayre, was a prominent figure in the antislavery campaign in the early nineteenth century. He served as a deacon for the Presbyterian Church and was the owner of numerous estates in the region, including Boxwood Hall and Sayre House.

Some historians believe it was a basic cold cellar that served as a covert underground refuge.

Nonetheless, according to municipal records, Sayre’s abolitionist principles lend validity to accusations that the mansion was used to hide escaped slaves during the Civil War.

Main Street, Boonton

When it came to stopping points on the Underground Railroad, Grimes’s home in Boonton was one of the more noticeable. Located at the intersection of Main and Liberty streets, the doctor housed escaped slaves, including several who had been transferred from Sayre’s custody, according to Grimes’ obituary in the Jerseyman published in 1875. The train’s “Boonton Station,” which is currently occupied by a Domino’s pizza restaurant, was hardly the most subterranean of railroad stations. Grimes was an outspoken opponent of slavery who was once jailed for concealing a fugitive slave from justice.

And, according to town records, he published the New Jersey Freeman from 1844 to 1850 in order to promote abolitionism, so drawing the harassment of neighbors to his home.

According to Grimes’ obituary in the Jerseyman, his residence was a well-known halt on the train before he moved for Boonton.

North Main Street, Boonton Township

Another station, the Powerville Hotel, was located close to Grimes’ residence in adjacent Boonton Township. In 1880, the town elected Charles Hopkins as its mayor. Nathan Hopkins’ son Charles Hopkins became involved in the railroad industry as a teenager, went on to join the First New Jersey Volunteer Infantry in 1861, survived a stint as a Confederate prisoner at Andersonville in Georgia, and rose through the ranks to become the town’s mayor. A collection of essays by the younger Hopkins, included in David Mitros’ 1998 Morris County Civil War-era anthology, “Gone to Wear the Victor’s Crown,” chronicled his experiences throughout the war.

According to town records, other anti-slavery activists, such as Grimes’ brother James and Boonton’s ironworks supervisor, William Lathrop, also contributed to the campaign against slavery.

Route 23, West Milford

The United Methodist Church of Newfoundland previously existed on the location of the Clip Shoppe, which now serves as a dog grooming and boarding facility. The repurposed church structure was constructed in 1865, two years after the Civil War’s conclusion. According to locals, the ministry extends back decades, and the land granted to the church by a long-time devotee is regarded one of the last stations on the line before reaching the New York border. According to reports, a nearby property featured underground passageways leading to a local cemetery and the barn in the backyard.

Hopkins documented excursions to the area, which was then known as Newfoundland, as well as further north along Route 23 in the communities of Canistear and Stockholm, which both had an earlier Methodist parish.

Hopkins stated that he dropped the trio off in a safe home in Pequannock, New Jersey, where they would stay for a while before returning to assist them in getting to Stockholm.

See also:  Who Was Called Moses Of The Underground Railroad? (Best solution)

In 2016, the New Jersey Herald published an article on a hidden safe room in a property near the Warwick Reformed Church, which linked the latter to a previously reported stop in Chester, New York.

Hambletonian Avenue, Chester, N.Y.

  • According to Wilmot Vail, John Milton Bull, who resided near Walton Lake, was a well-known guide for fugitive slaves on the run. As reported by the Port Jervis Daily Gazette, Vail, who reportedly assisted runaways, said that Bull transported fugitive slaves north to Chester. It was a Quaker family named Bull who resided near Goshen and took care of all fugitives who came to them, he wrote in notes obtained by the Associated Press. “Abolitionists were overwhelmingly supported by the population at the time, despite the fact that it was not openly voiced.” The Chester (New York) Church: A History 1799-1965, by Helen Predmore, describes how Bull utilized the cover of darkness and a carriage with curtains to transport runaways to the Presbyterian parsonage on the southwest corner of Hambletonian and High Street in Chester. The Rev. James W. Wood, who served as pastor of the Sussex Presbyterian Church from 1839 to 1845, was a former pastor of the Sussex Presbyterian Church. David Zimmer is a NorthJersey.com reporter that covers the local news. Please subscribe or activate your digital account now to have unlimited access to the most essential news from your local neighborhood.

New Jersey’s Underground Railroad

African American ancestry and vestiges of the Underground Railroad may be found in abundance across South Jersey. South Jersey is home to a number of historic monuments and structures that proudly preserve and interpret the history of African Americans in the Delaware River Region for future generations. Take a journey through Swedesboro and into the twentieth century, where you may visit the Richardson Avenue School. The school, which first opened its doors in 1931, functioned as a “separate but equal” school for African American pupils for 11 years.

  • Today, it serves as a museum, with guided tours available by appointment.
  • It is possible to see remnants of the famous Subterranean Railroad (UGRR), which was neither underground nor a railroad, at several locations around the region.
  • Located just outside of Swedesboro is Mount Zion A.M.E.
  • A little distance down the road is a cemetery that contains the bones of some of those fugitives as well as African American Civil War combatants from the 1860s.
  • (African Methodist Episcopal) Church, located in the city of Camden, is the city’s oldest Black institution and a station on the Underground Railroad.
  • The town of Lawnside in Camden County, which was previously known as Free Haven and subsequently Snow Hill, is worth mentioning.
  • Peter Mott’s residence is located in this peaceful neighborhood.

In today’s world, the Peter Mott House serves as a monument, and guided tours are offered.

A stop on the Underground Railroad (UGRR) was said to have been the Enoch Middleton House in Hamilton (Mercer County), with its owner serving as both station master and conductor, according to local oral tradition.

The Burlington Pharmacy, New Jersey’s oldest pharmacy still in continuous business, was a well-known meeting place for abolitionists in South Jersey during the mid-19th century.

Medford was the hometown of James Still, dubbed “The Black Doctor of the Pines,” and the brother of William Still, a notable historian and Underground Railroad agent.

Jacobs Chapel A.M.E.

Still attended services and is buried.

He made a name for himself as a musician, actor, athlete, civil rights activist, and novelist, among other things. It is dedicated to Giles R. Wright, Jr., an internationally known historian of African American history.

The Underground Railroad at the Jersey Shore: Secret stops start to emerge

African American history and vestiges of the Underground Railroad may be found in abundance in South Jersey. South Jersey is home to a number of historic monuments and structures that proudly preserve and exhibit the African-American legacy of the Delaware River Region for future generations. Take a journey through Swedesboro and into the twentieth century to see the Richardson Avenue School and learn about its history. Opening its doors in 1931, the school educated African American pupils for 11 years as a “separate but equal” school.

  • As of today, it serves as a museum, with guided tours available on request.
  • It is possible to see remnants of the famous Subterranean Railroad (UGRR), which was neither underground nor a railroad, in several locations throughout the Southeast.
  • Mount Zion A.M.E.
  • There is a cemetery just a short distance away that has the gravesites of some of those fugitives as well as African American Civil War heroes.
  • A leading stationmaster in New Jersey, its priest was Thomas Clement Oliver.
  • An individual from the nearby hamlet of Haddonfield made it feasible for this community to exist by purchasing pieces of land and reselling them to formerly enslaved individuals.
  • Mott was a free African-American, and his home served as a safe haven for those traveling on the Underground Railroad during the time of slavery.

Cherry Hillis Croft Farm, which is a popular stopping point for runaway slaves in the adjacent area of Cherry Hill A stop on the Underground Railroad (UGRR) was said to have been the Enoch Middleton House in Hamilton (Mercer County), whose owner served as both station master and conductor, according to local oral tradition.

  • George Washington after returning from the war.
  • “The Black Doctor of the Pines,” James Still, lived in Medford with his brother, William Still, who was a prominent historian and Underground Railroad agent.
  • Still attended services at Jacobs Chapel A.M.E.
  • Never forget that historicPrinceton was the birthplace of Paul Robeson, the son of an escaped slave who grew up to become one of the most prominent African Americans of the twentieth century.

A singer, actor, athlete, civil rights activist, and author, he made a name for himself in a variety of fields. In honor of Giles R. Wright Jr., a prominent researcher of African-American history who passed away recently.

Slavery at the Shore

Slavery on the Jersey Shore has been there since the 1600s. ‘In the 1670s, Lewis Morris is a sugarcane plantation owner in Barbados who transports almost 60 slaves from his property to Tinton Falls,’ according to author and Farmingdale native Rich Geffken, who wrote the novel. “And it is here that slavery gains a foothold,” says the author. The ‘Black burial cemetery’ in Holmdel is a neglected but important aspect of the town’s history. Geffken is considered to be the author of the book on the subject.

Despite the fact that New Jersey stayed in the Union throughout the Civil War, the state was not a bastion for abolitionists.

The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which forced fugitive slaves to be returned and compelled inhabitants of free states to participate, raised the stakes for Underground Railroad “conductors” and heightened tensions amongst neighbors.

The Harriet Tubman Museum in Cape May is dedicated to the life and legacy of Harriet Tubman.

Aiding in Allentown

Enoch and George Middleton, who are related to Quakers, were among those who assisted. Mercer County’s Underground Railroad station, Enoch’s property in North Crosswicks (now a part of Hamilton Township), is now well known as a stop on the Underground Railroad. “There were unique hiding spots in the barns for escaped slaves,” said John Fabiano, executive director of the Monmouth County Historical Commission. “There were hiding places in the barns for fugitive slaves.” It is still possible to see the hash marks in the barns where they were keeping track of the days.” According to Fabiano’s account, Enoch Middleton’s son Rudolph subsequently “remembered that the runaways arrived (to North Crosswicks) in groups of three, four, and five, and that at one point there were 32 people in hiding.

In following years, he became even more daring, and he conducted them by day.” With George Middleton, who lived at 35 S.

(now a law office) and owned an adjacent tannery, as well as the Robbins sisters, whose house has since been razed, Enoch had Underground Railroad accomplices in Allentown during the time of the Civil War (a florist sits on the lot).

Main St., and the Mill House at 38 S. Main St., both of which are located on South Main Street.

Imlaystown and Toms River

  • In regards to the Underground Railroad’s journey through Central Jersey, Fabiano explained that “they would skip Trenton since that was where the bounty hunters were stationed.” “New Brunswick was another another hot location they want to stay away from. He said that the most well-documented path was the one that went from Crosswicks to Cranbury, but that there were others. In Imlaystown, Fabiano explained, “the Toms River route passed through.” “I have a feeling they headed to Merino Hills.” Witness to the Battle of Appomattox: In Matawan, a dignified salute is given to black Civil War veterans for the first time. The estate of businessman and anti-slavery campaigner Samuel Gardiner Wright, Merino Hill House and Farm is still in existence today. According to Fabiano, a subsequent owner stated there was “a fake ceiling” there, which was most likely used to conceal runaway slaves. The link to Toms River is a little more difficult to trace. “There was a period when runaways were transported from Allentown to Toms River and placed on a boat bound for the north,” Fabiano recalled. Lester Owens, an Underground Railroad scholar, is quoted as claiming in a 1999 Asbury Park Press story that “many slaves hid in cargo vessels in Toms River and attempted to make their way to Jersey City, where there were companies where they might find employment in the 1860s.” With the exception of Cape May, Toms River is the only Jersey Shore town on today’s Underground Railroad map that was home to legendary campaigner Harriet Tubman during the early 1850s. The slaves who arrived on these shores, according to Owens, would search for beams of yellow or blue light as an indication that they were being received by someone associated with the railroad. There must be some great stories to tell about this, but they remain a mystery to the present. According to the Ocean County Historical Society, which is situated in Toms River, there are no specifics about the incident. “It’s difficult to identify sources that are recorded,” Fabiano remarked. “Even though our sources are secondary – newspaper stories — they are based on first-person recollections,” says the author. “That’s as good as it’s going to get for you.” A Lincoln cousin lives in Upper Freehold, and a 259-year-old fingerprint may be able to rescue a cemetery. During the course of his book research, Geffken stumbled into this difficulty. Everyone who has a root cellar or porch that appears to have been used as a stop on the Underground Railroad claims that their grandmother’s house was a station on the Underground Railroad, according to him. It’s a fact that people weren’t documenting those material since it was considered too dangerous. Despite this, new information is continuously being revealed. The Asbury Park Press published a map of the New Jersey Underground Railroad in 1999, however it does not include any stops in Monmouth or Ocean counties. Three are depicted on the present map. “History is always changing,” Fabiano explained. “Reliable sources will emerge, and from there we’ll discover more.” Any schools or groups interested in hosting Rick Geffen for a presentation on his book “Stories of Slavery in New Jersey” can contact him through email at [email protected] Jerry Carino is a community writer for the Asbury Park Press, where he writes about intriguing people, inspiring tales, and important topics that affect the Jersey Shore. You can reach him by email at [email protected]
See also:  Which States Utilized The Underground Railroad The Most? (Best solution)

If you’re watching ‘The Underground Railroad,’ learn about these Central Jersey debated sites

Runaway slaves were supported on their journeys to freedom in the North via the Underground Railroad, which was a network of safe homes, safe places, and secret passageways that existed in Central Jersey at the time of the Civil War. Few recorded Underground Railroad locations or places of interest exist in the region, but there are many more that have generated discussion among historians and landowners over their significance. According to Richard Moody, a former board member and longtime volunteer with the Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society as well as a volunteer with the Historical Society of Princeton, “the problem with the Underground Railroad is that there were no records kept because it was all highly secretive.” ‘I understand how difficult those pictures are to see,’ Barry Jenkins said of the portrayal of slavery in ‘The Underground Railroad.’ “Unfortunately, as is often the case, there are those who prefer to claim that their home served as a safe house on the Underground Railroad, but it’s very difficult to find out the truth about this claim.” The 10-part miniseries “The Underground Railroad,” which premiered on Amazon Prime on May 14 and will run for 10 weeks, is rekindling interest in the subject.

  1. However, because of its proximity to the slave states of Delaware and Maryland, it is well known that New Jersey played an important role in the Underground Railroad movement.
  2. After passing through Princeton and New Brunswick, roads from South Jersey mainly headed toward Perth Amboy.
  3. The state of New Jersey has a larger concentration of Underground Railroad villages than the majority of the northern states.
  4. Furthermore, the Garden State did not serve as a safe haven.
  5. Large sums of money were also offered as incentives to individuals who aided in the recovery of fugitive slaves.
  6. In other news, the Maryland home where Harriet Tubman most likely learnt ‘how to travel and survive’ has been uncovered.

New Brunswick

Many Underground Railroad routes that passed through South Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania came together at New Brunswick on their journey to New York City and Canada, among other destinations. The province of New Brunswick does not have any recorded Underground Railroad locations, despite the fact that some individuals claim they exist. According to the book “Scarlet and Black: Slavery and Dispossession in Rutgers History,” New Brunswick had a substantial free Black population with easy access to roads, waterways, and, later, rail transportation systems.

He went away in 2009, and he was considered a state expert on the Underground Railroad at the time.

Robert Belvin, the director of the New Brunswick Free Public Library, shared his thoughts on the subject with us.

As a matter of fact, here was where the slave catchers would sit and wait.” They would wait at the lowest end of East Brunswick and then make a mad rush north to bridge the Raritan River and enter Rahway,” says the narrator.

According to the book, “New Brunswick was also commonly regarded as one of the most perilous legs of the expedition.” As part of the contentious Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 enforcement, self-appointed slave hunters brutally monitored the footbridge that ran from Albany Street to the Raritan River, crossing the river in both directions.

Cranbury Inn, Cranbury

According to local oral legend, the Cranbury Inn served as a stopping point on the Underground Railroad. It is mentioned on the Cranbury Inn’s website and in Wright’s guidebook, which also refers to the oral tradition, that this is the case. However, the Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society has a different point of view. There is no evidence to substantiate the idea that the Cranbury Inn was a location of the Underground Railroad; nonetheless, because to the secrecy of the Underground Railroad, not all sites are known to exist.

In his opinion, “as far as I can tell, there were no bars that served as safe homes.” “A slave would not want to be anywhere near the Cranbury Inn, where people slept for the night, ate supper, saw traveling medical exhibitions, and participated in political caucuses, all of which took place there.

According to him, “it makes sense that escaped slaves would seek refuge on remote farms.” “Would they consider staying at a public inn?

Prospect Plains Road, Cranbury

On Prospect Plains Road in Cranbury, however, there was a farm with a home and barn that was considered to be an Underground Railroad location, and it was located on the property. It was demolished between 2009 and 2014 to make space for the widening of the New Jersey Turnpike, which took place between those years. Despite the fact that the location of that place is not documented, Chambers claims that oral tradition has been passed down from the last property owner. A second-hand account from a person who spoke with Enoch Middleton, a Quaker and abolitionist who, with his son, assisted in the relocation of escaped slaves from their house in the North Crosswicks part of Hamilton Township to Cranbury, is also available.

Red Maple Farm, Monmouth Junction

A property with a home and barn on Prospect Plains Road in Cranbury, however, was suspected to be an Underground Railroad location since it had a house and barn and was located near a well. Construction on the New Jersey Turnpike expansion took place between 2009 and 2014, and the building was demolished to make space for the project. In addition to the lack of written documentation at that location, Chambers claims that oral tradition has been carried down from the previous owner. A second-hand account from someone who spoke with Enoch Middleton, a Quaker and abolitionist who, with his son, assisted in the relocation of escaped slaves from their house in the North Crosswicks part of Hamilton Township to Cranbury, is also available.

The property on Prospect Plains Road is thought to have been the location where he relocated the escaped slaves.

Robert Horner House, Princeton

However, according to Moody, the Historical Society of Princeton has some reservations about the Robert Horner House, which is located at 344 Nassau St. and is alleged to be an Underground Railroad location. Sites associated with the Underground Railroad include: Visitor’s guide to the best places to see in South Jersey The main component of the house was constructed in 1824, which was closer to the conclusion of the Underground Railroad in 1863 during the American Civil War than to the beginning.

Eagleswood, Perth Amboy

  • Eagleswood, a neighborhood on the western boundary of Perth Amboy that was once known as the Raritan Bay Union, was one of the most well-documented Underground Railroad destinations in Central Jersey, according to historical records. In the Raritan River valley, near the current site of the Victory Bridge, it was located. During its 34-year history, its almost 270 acres and 30 buildings were utilized for a variety of functions, including as a transcendentalist community, a multicultural, progressive boarding school, a farm, an artists’ colony, and a military college. The main building, known as the Eagleswood Phalanx, was a vast structure with a confusing maze of hallways and chambers, making it a perfect location to conceal former slaves on their route to escape from slavery. Escaping slaves were transported to this location through the Raritan River or a horse-drawn cart. Theodore Weld, Angelina Grimke Weld, and Sarah Grimke, all covert operatives of the Underground Railroad, were in charge of the school, which was managed by them. Marcus and Rebecca Spring, the co-founders of Eagleswood, were very extensively involved in the project as well. Sites associated with the North Jersey Underground Railroad include: Here are few safe havens in northern New Jersey. John Kerry Dyke, a civic historian in Perth Amboy, said the city has a long and illustrious history with the Underground Railroad, which has been mostly lost in recent years. “Eagleswood was an important stop on the Underground Railroad, where enslaved persons were able to find refuge. They were taken care of, had their injuries repaired medically, and were kept concealed from bounty hunters.” Jenna Intersimone has been a member of the USA Today Network New Jersey crew since 2014, after transitioning from being a blogger to a reporter following the launch of her award-winning travel blog. Please subscribe or activate your digital membership now in order to have unlimited access to her tales on food, drink, and entertainment. Contact:[email protected]@JIntersimone

The Official Web Site for The State of New Jersey

In honor of Moses, the biblical hero who rescued the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt, Harriet Tubman became known as “Moses,” and she became the most famous conductor of the Underground Railroad during her lifetime. Tubman was born into slavery in Dorchester County, Maryland, but escaped to Pennsylvania in 1849, when the state of Maryland abolished slavery. Following her own emancipation from slavery, this abolitionist returned to Maryland and saved members of her own family as well as other people.

  • Despite the fact that she repeatedly varied the paths she took to the North, Ms.
  • This was crucial for a couple of different reasons.
  • As a result, it is possible that their owners will not detect their missing until Monday morning.
  • These two realities frequently provided Tubman and the escapees with enough time to gain a head start on their journey to their final goal in the free states of America.
  • She eventually settled in South Carolina throughout the conflict.
  • Although she was never compensated for her work, she did get an official citation for her contribution to the war effort.
See also:  Who Started The First Underground Railroad? (Correct answer)
William Still

Harriet Tubman was the most renowned conductor of the Underground Railroad, and she was known as “Moses” after the biblical hero who liberated the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt. Tubman was born into slavery in Dorchester County, Maryland, but escaped to Pennsylvania in 1849, where he died in the state of Pennsylvania. She returned to Maryland after escaping slavery and rescuing members of her family as well as other abolitionists who had been imprisoned there. It is estimated that she made 19 excursions into the South and, over a ten-year period, transported around 300 individuals to freedom in the North, never losing sight of any of her charges in the process.

  • Tubman always began her escapes on Saturday nights, regardless of how difficult the terrain was to negotiate.
  • Slaves were frequently exempt from working on Sundays for a variety of reasons.
  • Secondly, it would not be possible for newspapers to report fugitive slaves until the start of the next week.
  • The Union Army recruited Tubman to work as a nurse, scout, and spy for them during the American Civil War.
  • The 54th Massachusetts Regiment, a brave band of African-American troops who became known as the “Glory Brigade” after a bloody battle at Fort Wagner in 1863, was another group for which she prepared meals.

Even though she was never compensated for her services, she was given an official award for her contributions to the war effort.

NJ Celebrates the Underground Railroad

From September 29 to October 13, 2002, the Harriet Tubman and William Still Underground Railroad Walk Across New Jersey: Celebrating New Jersey’s History and Heroes Every Step of the Way” commemorated a significant period in the state’s history and celebrated a freedom network that stretched from Cumberland to Hudson County. Secretary of State Regena Thomas and members of the Department of State’s staff retraced the 180-mile route taken by the Underground Railroad throughout the state of New Jersey on Saturday.

A last symbolic crossing from Jersey City to New York City took place at the site of the old World Trade Center, before participants visited the African Burial Ground and the Foley Square Monument, which were both built in memory of the victims of the September 11th attacks.

Freedom’s Path: The Underground Railroad in NJ

The “Harriet Tubman and William Still Underground Railroad Walk Across New Jersey: Celebrating New Jersey’s History and Heroes Every Step of the Way,” which took place from September 29 to October 13, 2002, highlighted a unique part of the state’s history and celebrated the freedom network that operated from Cumberland County to Hudson County during the Civil War. Secretary of State Regena Thomas and members of the Department of State’s staff retraced the 180-mile route taken by the Underground Railroad throughout the state of New Jersey on Wednesday.

A last symbolic crossing from Jersey City to New York City took place at the site of the former World Trade Center, before participants visited the African Burial Ground and the Foley Square Monument, which were both built in memory of the victims of the World Trade Center disaster.

Artifacts of former slaves’ village tell historic tale

A sign for the Timbuctoo site may be located at the crossroads of Church and Rancocas roads, as shown in this photo taken on September 9, 2010. The photo above was taken by Sarah J. Glover, a Pillidelphia News Photographer. a synopsis of Artifacts found at the site of a former slave community tell the story of slavery in America. Over 15,400 objects have been recovered from the site of Timbuctoo, a now-buried community of freed and fugitive slaves along the Rancocas Creek in Burlington County, New Jersey, and are being curated, examined, and cataloged by Temple University archaeology students.

According to Patricia Markert, a Temple student who assisted with the school’s field project in 2010 and 2011, and then did numerous smaller digs last year, “there was also a miniature cannon and a wagon wheel, all of which may have been part of a bank set” for a kid to collect coins, Several residential structures, as well as the outline and corner stone of the church, were discovered during excavations at the site.

  • When the community was established in 1825, it was estimated to have contained as many as 125 African American families.
  • According to historical documents, the site may have covered a total area of up to 40 acres.
  • The site cemetery, which is currently the sole visible feature above ground on the property, has the tombstones of 13 men of the United States Colored Troops who participated in the American Civil War.
  • Also known as the Pine Swamp Battlefield, it was the site where a town defended a black man against an army of slave catchers and their allies during the American Civil War (1861-1865).
  • In addition, the community is looking for funding options for reopening excavation and exploration.

A graduate student at the University of Maryland seeking her master’s degree in history, Markert explained how this site fits into a bigger narrative. “It was part of the slaves’ trip, which was a brutal and traumatic journey, to freedom,” she said.

Underground Railroad Site Saved from Development

Abolition Hall, once an important station on the Underground Railroad in Pennsylvania, was demolished in 2016. | Bradley Maule contributed to this image. “I’m cautiously hopeful,” says the author. Those who favor the Corson tract in Montgomery County, which includes the Underground Railroad station Abolition Hall, have expressed their displeasure with the decision. After five years of fighting against a proposed townhouse development on the historic 10.45-acre site, Whitemarsh Township has reached a deal with the owners to acquire the land.

  1. It features a three-story home located on the road, which was erected in part in 1794 and is still standing today.
  2. The descendants of the family farm, Martha Maulsby Corson and her husband George, were prominent in the Underground Railroad during the nineteenth century, providing safe haven for freedom seekers fleeing the Southern states.
  3. It was decided to deny permission following the destruction of an abolitionist church in the region that had hosted speakers.
  4. Frederick Douglass, Lucretia Mott, and John Greenleaf Whittier were among the distinguished guests who spoke at the event.
  5. Both were active painters in the Philadelphia region at the time of their deaths.

Both of their pieces are kept in the collection of the Woodmere Art Museum in Chestnut Hill, while two of Thomas’s best-known works, The Last Moments of John Brown and Breaking Home Ties, are held in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Philadelphia Museum of Art, respectively.

In the Plymouth Meeting Historic District, which consists of 56 buildings spanning 200 acres and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, the Corson house (now known as Hovenden House), the barn (now used as a residence), and Abolition Hall are all important contributors to the story of the American Revolution.

“It was Pennsylvania’s first National Historic District.” The three structures had been added to the register the year before after they were endangered by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, which proposed rerouting Germantown and Butler Pikes through the plot of land in which they were located.

|

Even now, members of the Corson family continue to own and occupy the land in question.

Hovnanian Homes, a New Jersey-based developer with projects in 14 states and the District of Columbia, was the recipient of an agreement of sale signed by the company in 2015.

According to Zove, it spurred a group of people to join the Friends of Abolition Hall, “in order to push for the setting aside of portion of the tract for public use and the establishment of a welcome center.” “One of our key goals was for people to recognize the significance of the place,” said the team.

Concerns about the environment were also brought up.

“There are sinkholes as well, which is related to the limestone-rich soil,” Zove explained.

The holes were filled up throughout the years, with some of the pits being utilized as dumps.” The developer withdrew from the purchase and selling deal in July 2020.

According to Laura Boyle-Nester, head of the township’s Board of Supervisors, “it wasn’t too long ago that I was speculating about how many townhouses may sprout up up there.” In contrast to many communities, where financial constraints prevent significant investment in preservation, Whitemarsh has a substantial Open Space Fund, which generates around $2 million in revenue each year.

Because of this, the Open Space Committee has spent $16.7 million on property purchases since 2006, which have included purchases of properties ranging from vast tracts of land, such as the 109-acre Sheep Tract, which is located on Erdenheim Farm just outside of Chestnut Hill, to tiny parcels.

  • The Corson Estate development project by K.
  • |
  • Even with these resources, the township was unable to afford the roughly $4 million purchase price, which was out of reach.
  • This was an intriguing development.
  • A farmhouse at adjacent Cedar Grove Park serves as the current home of the WAC, which is housed in another ancient township structure.
  • It was our intention to remain in the same location while we raised funds for a new structure,” says the author.

And the flexibility to accommodate larger classes, as well as additional sessions at popular times, provides us with a potential to expand.” According to Zuena, a $500,000 Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program grant that the company got from the state in 2018 would be applied to the new plans as well.

In addition to already having a working connection with the township as a tenant, Zuena believes that the transfer to the Corson plot is in the best interests of the WAC.

The fact that we are on the property is understandable given the history of the land and the fact that the family is an artistic family.

|

“They had a great deal of determination,” she remarked.

“Just because it’s on the list doesn’t mean it’s safe.

“The lesson is that you, as citizens, have a right to a place at the table.” “There must be participation from the general people.” “We had reservations about every move,” Zove said.

It is too early for the township and WAC to begin planning the future uses of their land, but Boyle-Nester stated that they have a rough concept of what they want to accomplish.

“Even if a property is designated as’saved,’ it is not automatically deleted from the list,” she explained. “It’s a pain to have to save things a second time, but sometimes it’s necessary.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *