What is operation Operation Underground Railroad?
- Operation Underground Railroad (O.U.R.) is a non-profit founded by Tim Ballard which assists governments around the world in the rescue of human trafficking and sex trafficking victims, with a special focus on children.
How many people has operation Underground Railroad helped?
We are pleased to report that Operation Underground Railroad helped rescue 400 victims in the United States and around the world in 2017 — an 86 percent increase over 2016. In addition, our law enforcement partners arrested 212 traffickers because of our support — a 74 percent increase from 2016.
Is Tim Ballard married?
Although he is still missing today, we will never give up until we FIND GARDY. To date, we have rescued over 3,800 survivors and assisted in the arrests of over 2,100 traffickers and predators. Gardy’s story has led to the freedom of thousands.
Was Tim Ballard a seal?
When the traffickers arrived and children started filing into the mansion, his instincts kicked in. Last January, Ballard made a bold move and left his job to form his own team of former CIA operatives and Navy Seals who operate undercover to bust child slavery rings like this one.
Is Tim Ballard LDS?
After growing up in California, Ballard attended Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he went on a church mission to Chile and then graduated cum laude from BYU with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish and Political Science.
Does the Underground Railroad still exist?
It includes four buildings, two of which were used by Harriet Tubman. Ashtabula County had over thirty known Underground Railroad stations, or safehouses, and many more conductors. Nearly two-thirds of those sites still stand today.
Where did the Underground Railroad go?
Routes. Underground Railroad routes went north to free states and Canada, to the Caribbean, into United States western territories, and Indian territories. Some freedom seekers (escaped slaves) travelled South into Mexico for their freedom.
Who are Tim Ballard’s parents?
Tim Ballard, an American Mormon and undercover agent has traveled all over the world to fight those buying and selling children.
Who is Gardy?
The Gardy Effect is a real-life testimony of “the power of one.” Eleven-year-old Gardy Mardy— dual citizen of both Haiti and the United States of America—was kidnapped from his church in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince on December 6, 2009, when he was just shy of his third birthday.
Operation Underground Railroad – Wikipedia
|Named after||Underground Railroad|
|Founded at||Salt Lake City,Utah|
|Type||Non-governmental organization,non-profit organization|
|Key people||Tim Ballard|
A non-profit organization based in the United States, Operation Underground Railroad (O.U.R.) has the stated goal of assisting government agencies in the rescue of human trafficking and sexual trafficking victims, with a particular emphasis on children, with the overall goal of eliminating sexual trafficking worldwide. Founded in 2013 by Tim Ballard, a former officer of the United States Department of Homeland Security in Cedar City, Utah, the organisation has grown rapidly. As the subject of several investigative series in 2020, Ballard and O.U.R.
As of April 2020, the Organization for the Unification of Refugees reported 3000 victims rescued and 182 traffickers apprehended.
As of October of that year, the O.U.R.
Prior to launching O.U.R., Tim Ballard worked as a Special Agent for the Department of Homeland Security for 12 years, where he was a member of the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force and the United States Child Sexual Exploitation Jump Team. According to Ballard, he was dissatisfied with the absence of techniques adopted to rescue abducted and trafficked children in developing countries, as well as the difficulty to punish perpetrators in situations that were not tied to the United States of America.
The organization’s headquarters are in Salt Lake City, Utah, but it also has offices in Southern California and the Pacific Northwest.
Molen to chronicle the planning and activity pertaining to a few covert operations for a feature film in order to increase awareness and support for the cause.
Following the organization’s stated mission, it collaborates with supportive governments and groups in one or more of the following activities: prevention, discovery and preparedness; rescue; victim rehabilitation programs; and fundraising. Its members are former military and law enforcement officers, as well as other volunteers who provide a hand in various capacities.
Efforts to rescue victims of human trafficking are broken down into operations, which include planning, training, and/or direct engagement. According to O.U.R., the organization does not operate freely or without the cooperation and assistance of the government.
According to a 2020Vice News investigation, the group engaged in “a strategy of image-burnishing and mythology-building, a succession of exaggerations that are, taken together, highly deceptive,” according to the report. The organization One United Rescue claimed to have saved a lady named “Liliana,” who according to court testimony had escaped on her own will. Transparency in the organization’s spending is also lacking. One of O.U.R.’s practices, according to a follow-up article from 2021, was that it used “jump teams” of inexperienced donors and celebrities, did not conduct meaningful surveillance or identification of targets, did not validate whether the people they intended to rescue were in fact actual trafficking victims, and did not differentiate between consent-based sexual work and human trafficking.
for propagating the far-right QAnonconspiracy theory.
Investigative Reports and Criminal Investigations
On August 27, 2020, Lynn Packer of the American Crime Journal announced in a video breaking news that criminal complaints had been submitted to the Davis County District Attorney’s office in Farmington, Utah, according to the American Crime Journal. American psychologist John Dehlin had an interview with Packer, an award-winning investigative journalist and seasoned Utah reporter, which was later broadcast on his Mormon Stories Podcast. Asked why such an important “development for the state of Utah and the LDS Church” was not disclosed or “being chased” by mainstream Utah media, Dehlin, who is an excommunicated member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints(LDS Church), said, “It’s because it’s a secret.” As Packer stated, the state media and the LDS Church were involved in legitimizing Operation Underground Railroad with little to no control and fact-checking on the part of the state government.
In his statement, Packer said that he had spent the previous five years looking into Tim Ballard and Operation Underground Railroad.
and Tim Ballard were under criminal investigation by the Attorney’s Office of Davis County, Utah, in October 2020, following reports that O.U.R.
Tim Ballard summoned officers and managers from his non-profit and for-profit businesses, including several from Operation Underground Railroad, to a clandestine meeting in August, 2019, according to reports by investigative journalists Lynn Packer and Damion Moore of the American Crime Journal.
- “WHAT IS CONTAINED WITHIN A NUMBER? Rescue 500”.Operation Underground Railroad. Retrieved on May 11, 2016. The original version of this article was archived on May 16, 2016. Retrieved2016-05-16
- s^ The American Crime Journal published articles such as “A Famed Anti-Sex Trafficking Group Has a Problem With the Truth”.
- “Inside a Massive Anti-Trafficking Charity’s Blundering Overseas Missions”.
- “Operation Underground Railroad’s Carefully Crafted Public Image Is Falling Apart”.
- “Derailed: Operation Underground Railroad (O.U.R.)”.American Crime Journal
- Abcnews.com published an article entitled ” Merlan and Anna are two of the most talented people I’ve ever met (10 December 2020). In the words of the New York Times, “A well-known anti-sex trafficking organization has a problem with the truth.” Obtainable on December 24, 2020
- Grant, Melissa Gira, and Melissa Gira (2020-08-19). According to Qanon, the Anti-Trafficking Movement’s Conspiracy Playbook is being used. Journal of the New Republic, ISSN0028-6583. “Anti-human trafficking group Operation Underground Railroad under criminal investigation by Utah prosecutor”, KSTU, October 8, 2020
- Ab”Anti-human trafficking group Operation Underground Railroad under investigation”, KSTU, October 8, 2020
- Ab”BREAKING NEWS: Anti-human trafficking group Operation Underground Railroad under criminal investigation by Davis County Attorney”, American Crime Journal, October 8, 2020
- The following article was written by Richard BYRNE REILLY on April 26, 2014: “Tech startup Operation Underground Railroad is protecting youngsters from human traffickers” (News). VentureBeat. Obtainable on 2016-05-16
- Abcd “Behind the Scenes of the Fight Against Child Sexual Trafficking.” 2015-05-07. ab”The New Abolitionists,” retrieved on April 17, 2012
- Ab”The New Abolitionists.” Foreign Policy is the study of international relations. Retrieved on 2016-05-16
- Ab”The Abolitionists Movie – A Mission to End Child Trafficking” (Abolitionists Movie – A Mission to End Child Trafficking). The Abolitionists were a group of people who opposed slavery. Retrieved2016-05-16
- s^ Karissa Herald is a reporter for the Herald. Neely’s Daily Dose of Neely. “Abolitionists in Utah believe it is past time to rescue victims of sex trafficking.” The Daily Herald is a newspaper published in the United Kingdom. Retrieved2020-04-27
- s^ “Understanding Human Trafficking via the Lens of Civil Society: Awareness, Advocacy, and Action” is the title of this paper. It is written in English. “Rescuing Children From Colombia’s Sex Trafficking Trade,” which was retrieved on May 16, 2016. The 22nd of October, 2014, according to ABC News. Retrieved2016-05-16
- “Rescuing Children from Sex Slavery: One Mormon’s Inspired Mission”.LDS Living. 2015-02-27. Retrieved2016-05-16
- “Inside a Massive Anti-Trafficking Charity’s Blundering Overseas Missions”. The Guardian. 2015-02-27. Retrieved2016-05-16
- “Rescuing Children from Sex Slavery: One Mormon’s Inspired Mission”. Retrieved2021-06-05
- s^ Kevin Roose is the author of this work (2020-08-12). “QAnon adherents are interfering with the Save the Children movement.” Journal of the New York Times (ISSN 0362-4331). “Donald Trump Is Gone, But QAnon’s Sex Trafficking Conspiracies Are Here To Stay,” according to a report published on January 6, 2016. BuzzFeed News is a news website. Retrieved2021-06-05
- “WWE Referee, Wrestler-Turned-Mayor Fundraise For QAnon-Adjacent Charity” (WWE Referee, Wrestler-Turned-Mayor Fundraise For QAnon-Adjacent Charity). Retrieved2021-06-05
- s^ Lynn Packer is a writer who lives in the United States (August 28, 2020). American Crime Journal published an article titled “Tim Ballard, Utah’s Flim-Flam Man.” American Crime Journal
- “1364: Investigating Tim Ballard and Operation Underground Railroad – Lynn Packer Pt. 6”
- “Underground Railroad’s Carefully Crafted Public Image Is Falling Apart”
- “Anti-human trafficking group Operation Underground Railroad under criminal investigation by Utah prosecutor”
I Went on a Vigilante Raid to “Save” Kids Sold for Sex. What We Did Haunts Me Now.
“When the housekeeper answers the door to a man brandishing a pistol, you can see how afraid she is.” Screenshot courtesy of YouTube/Operation Underground Railroad When the originator of Operation Underground Railroad, Tim Ballard, phoned me unexpectedly in the summer of 2014, I had no idea what he was talking about. He was a former Special Agent with the Department of Homeland Security and informed me that OUR had an undercover operation planned in the Dominican Republic and that he wanted me to accompany him to record it.
- Local administrations were either overburdened or involved in the situation.
- Ballard said that he knew how to save these children.
- Ballard and I are both members of the Mormon faith.
- My father, who admired my work, saved a few cards with the blog’s details in his wallet for future reference.
- Perhaps this is how Ballard discovered that I was a writer.
- I wasn’t perplexed as to why he believed it was acceptable for me, the author of a mother blog, to document anti-human trafficking efforts.
- I was depressed and lonely since my father, who had been my greatest friend, had passed away not long before.
I think, in my anguish and my desire for meaning, I wished for him to be called by God, hoping that it would imply that, at long last, I would be, as well.
Before I traveled for my trip with Operation Underground Railroad, I exchanged a few emails with the organization, receiving instructions on what to pack, my plane ticket, and the name of the person who would meet me at the airport.
It was the day before the sting that I packed my belongings and boarded an aircraft that took me to the Dominican Republic.
We have grown, as every successful firm must, and we are always striving to enhance our standard operating procedures and processes on a professional level.”) When I went on the “jump,” as they termed it, I was the youngest person and the only woman there.
The production firm was situated in Utah, but it was said to have attracted the attention of Hollywood elite, including Gerald Molen, the Oscar-winning producer of films such as Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List.
We stayed in a large beige house with a befuddled housekeeper from the neighborhood.
I jotted down some notes.
Ballard’s team collaborated with local authorities who were either overloaded or ill-equipped to handle this task on their own, according to what I was informed.
The location and time of the party were communicated to the authorities in advance.
When the OUR team obtained undercover recordings of a trafficker receiving upfront cash in exchange for sex with the children, the police intended to stand by outside.
They would be armed, of course.
Ballard gave me his assurance.
I’d be on the safe side.
Following the meeting, the housekeeper prepared the table for dinner.
Was she going to be safe?
I fell asleep to the sound of members of the jump team practicing CrossFit near the pool, which was a pleasant surprise.
There were a total of 26 of them.
I’d been tasked with inflating balloons in order to create a festive ambiance in the house.
When I met them outside near the pool, I gave out drinks to them.
“I’d been requested to blow up balloons in order to create a party atmosphere in the house.” Inside, Meg ConleyBallard sat with the traffickers, ostensibly discussing the price for the services that each girl would offer.
One of the traffickers came up to me and started making jokes, which I found amusing.
Ballard was putting money on the coffee table, and I was watching him.
The raid got underway.
I quickly fled.
The cameras were rolling in preparation for the much-anticipated television show.
There was a lot of yelling: from the cops, from the OUR covert team, who was pretending to be shocked, and from the drug traffickers.
I was still present when the children, dripping wet from the pool, were escorted through the room and out of the house by their parents.
During the process of being brought away, they walked between us on the ground, dripping water as they did so.
The camera team came up to me and asked for my comments, recording me while I answered.
I wanted to think that what had just occurred was significant—and I wanted to get back home.
When the plane touched down, I immediately turned on my cellphone.
After expressing interest in providing a blurb for my book, he expressed willingness to do so whenever I was ready to do so.
A man who claimed to have been summoned by God stated he was going to endorse me.
In the van with our two children strapped into car seats in the rear, my husband picked me up from the airport and I informed him about the guns and the children.
Then he told her, “You shouldn’t have been in there.” I recall thinking he was being overprotective at the time.
I was in attendance at the screening of OUR’s first documentary when it was released.
I got to my feet.
Ballard’s assertive certainty, on the other hand, quickly became a source of concern for me.
She said that OUR’s raids demonstrated a “alarming lack of knowledge about how complex criminal trafficking networks must be attacked and disrupted,” and she described the organization’s tactics as “arrogant, immoral, and unlawful.” Ballard forwarded the item to me and referred to her as a “bitch.” Then he requested me to prepare a reply to his argument.
- It was impossible for me to come up with anything meaningful to say in response to someone who had dedicated her life to this cause.
- The essay was not written by me.
- The most of them were just as inexperienced as I was.
- The appeals were heartfelt, but they were faulty.
- We spent the most of our time talking about fundraising.
- Towards the conclusion of my association with the group, I confided in someone who was concerned about the recent negative publicity that I was concerned about an organization that placed so much reliance on Ballard and his vision of the future.
- OUR prioritized Black and Latino children in its fundraising efforts, but the organization refused to change its name in response to calls from Black activists.
- Ballard, his wife, and other white people are shown as they transport rescued Black and brown children from human trafficking down an actual train, painted by McNaughton, who is most known for his painting of President Barack Obama burning the Constitution in 2012.
- I was disillusioned and upset, and I wanted to have a better grasp of the group’s position within the anti-trafficking community.
The first thing that sprang to mind when I informed an international anti-trafficking specialist about the 2014 raid I was a part of was, “Do you have any idea how completely wrong everything was?” According to what I’ve gathered from the studies, our 2014 raid was most likely just another childhood trauma for those 26 children.
- But what she realized in a split second was something that took me years to comprehend.
- (Ballard did not answer to inquiries concerning the raid that were directed at him.) Is this an indictment on Ballard?
- However, it is also a criticism of myself.
- I attempted to find purpose in my own life by putting myself in the shoes of exploited children.
- Operation Underground Railroad is now well-known for its multinational sting operations, which have gained widespread attention.
- In 2015, a Silicon Valley businessman put $40,000 into a sting operation and watched it unfold in real time.
- Ballard brings the drama with him to every interview and fundraiser, for those who can’t afford to go to the situation room.
Ballard’s stories were recently investigated by Vice, which discovered “a pattern of image-burnishing and mythology-building, as well as a series of exaggerations that are, in the aggregate, quite misleading.” Vice also published details of “disturbingly amateurish” operations, such as the one I attended.
- However, a video of the raid was produced by Operation Underground Railroad.
- It’s still there, believe it or not.
- Towards the end of the video, the sentence “26 victims rescued, 8 traffickers arrested” appears.
- Meg Conley is a writer who lives in New York City.
- There did not appear to be any consideration given to the possibility that OUR had generated a demand.
- I was given only ambiguous responses.
I discovered the truth about what happened thanks to aForeign Policyreport: Following OUR’s first operation in the Dominican Republic in 2014, a local group known as the National Council for Children and Adolescents rapidly realized that it lacked the resources to care for the 26 girls who had been rescued by the organization.
- According to the story, some people testified.
- It was only a Coke and a swim that those kids received from us in 2014, yet Ballard came out ahead in the bargain.
- It entails identifying children who are being trafficked and ensuring that they receive adequate aftercare.
- It is enacting safe harbor, affirmative defense, and vacatur legislation, all of which are intended to offer victims with a safe transition or to assist them in avoiding the criminal judicial system.
- It is advocating for racial equality.
- Anti-trafficking effort, particularly the sort that is effective, does not provide instant gratification.
- There are no cameos or leading roles.
- Ballard began the organization’s 2020 online fundraising event by expressing gratitude to those who were watching from their homes.
- Ballard is represented by WME, one of the world’s largest talent agencies, despite the fact that his reality series never got off the ground.
- In addition, a new action film based on his life, Sound of Freedom, will be released soon.
- In the clip, which was published last summer, a blond Caviezel hikes through the Colombian forest in order to save children from a criminal organization.
On the screen, Caviezel sobs righteous tears, as scared boys and girls’ faces, frequently covered in filth, are featured prominently. “Mister Timoteo,” a weeping small kid asks the screen Ballard in Spanish, and the screen Ballard responds. “You’re a kid rescuer, aren’t you?”
QAnon Is Using the Anti-Trafficking Movement’s Conspiracy Playbook
When a man with a pistol knocks on the door, you can see how afraid the housekeeper is. Operation Underground Railroad/YouTube screen capture The creator of Operation Underground Railroad, Tim Ballard, contacted me out of nowhere one summer day in 2014. I’d never heard of the organization before then. He was a former Special Agent with the Department of Homeland Security and informed me that OUR had an undercover operation planned in the Dominican Republic, and he asked me to accompany him to record it.
- Governments at all levels were either overburdened or involved.
- Ballard said that he knew how to save these children from their situation.
- Mormonism is something Ballard and I share.
- A few cards with the blog’s contact information were retained in my father’s wallet since he admired my work.
- Perhaps this is how Ballard discovered that I was a writer.
- That he believed it was acceptable for me, the author of a mother blog, to document anti-trafficking efforts was beyond my comprehension.
- After my father, my best friend, passed away not long earlier, I felt lonely and depressed.
It’s possible that in my anguish and yearning for meaning, I wished for him to be called by God, in hopes that it would imply that, at long last, I would be called as well.
I exchanged a few emails with Operation Underground Railroad before to my departure, including instructions on what to pack, my plane ticket information, and the name of the person who would meet me at the airport.
At the time, it wasn’t precisely preparation for a military-style sting operation, but I wasn’t really concerned about that.
(In response to specific queries for this piece, a spokeswoman for Operation Underground Railroad stated: “Slate is repeating old accusations from over seven years ago, during Operation Underground Railroad’s first year of operations.
Because Ballard appeared to be pitching a TV series on his anti-trafficking activities, a camera team was on hand to capture everything.
Though situated in Utah, the production business apparently had Hollywood aristocracy interested, including Gerald Molen, the Academy Award-winning producer of films such as Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List, as a shareholder.
It was a vast beige house with a befuddled local housekeeper, and we remained there for three nights.
I jotted down some thoughts and observations.
This activity was organized with local authorities who were either too overloaded or ill-equipped to handle it on their own, I was informed.
The location and time of the party were disclosed to the authorities.
When the OUR team obtained undercover evidence of a trafficker receiving upfront cash in exchange for sex with the children, the police decided to wait outside until that footage was obtained.
They’d be armed, of course!
My concerns were allayed by Ballard.
I’d be safe in my own company.
After the conference, the housekeeper prepared dinner for all of the participants.
She’d be okay, right?
Members of the jump team were doing CrossFit alongside the pool, and the sound of their workouts helped me fall asleep.
The total number was 26.
Balloons had been requested in order to create a festive atmosphere in the house.
When I met them outside by the pool, I gave them sodas to drink.
In order to create a festive environment in the house, I was instructed to blow up balloons.
Meg, Tim wants you inside,” said a security guard as he unlocked the rear door and called to me.
In a conversation with one of the traffickers, I found myself cracking up at his jokes.
Ballard was putting money on the coffee table, and I stood there watching him do it.
As soon as the raid began, I dashed to the back door, where I was greeted by a local police officer wielding a revolver.
Filming for the much-anticipated television program had begun.
Shouting could be heard coming from all directions – from the cops, from the OUR covert squad, from the traffickers.
While I was still present, the kids, who were still dripping wet from the pool, were herded through the room and out the door.
During the process of being brought away, they walked between us on the ground, pouring water as they went.
While I was speaking, the camera team was shooting me to get my opinions on things.
I really wanted to think that what had just transpired was significant—and I desperately wanted to get back to my apartment.
I turned on my cellphone as soon as the plane touched down.
If I ever got around to writing a blurb for my book, he indicated he’d be pleased to do it for me.
The endorsement of a guy who claimed to have been summoned by God.
In the van with our two children strapped into car seats in the rear, my husband picked me up from the airport and I informed him about the guns and the kids.
” His response was, “It was inappropriate for you to be inside.” I recall thinking he was being overprotective at the time.
I was in attendance at the premiere of OUR’s first documentary, which aired in 2011.
Then I got up and walked away from the table.
Ballard’s assertive certainty, on the other hand, quickly became a source of concern for me.
She was labeled a “bitch” by Ballard, who forwarded me the article.
In response to specific queries regarding his remarks, Ballard did not answer.
What gave him the impression that I did it, exactly?
While on planning calls with our team, I was also working on other projects.
They, too, believed in Ballard’s vision of salvation, and they were doing everything they could to help him realize it.
All of us wanted to “rescue the children,” but no one had any actual knowledge of what was going on with these young people.
They never addressed the serious issues that children need to be protected from.
Afraid as well as the other individual In its fundraising efforts, OUR prioritized Black and Latino children, but it did not heed calls from Black activists to rename the group after them.
Ballard, his wife, and other white people are shown as they transport rescued Black and brown children from human trafficking down a genuine train, painted by McNaughton, who is most known for painting Barack Obama burning the Constitution in 2012.
With my expectations dashed and my mind jumbled, I set out to gain a better grasp of the group’s position within the anti-trafficking community Experts on human trafficking were contacted.
This has harmed them greatly.
When Ballard invited me into his home, he put me in danger in order for me to write a narrative about him.
Do you mean to say that Ballard should be condemned?
That being said, it is also an indictment of my own character.
On the backs of exploited children, I attempted to find purpose in my own life.
I began to accept responsibility for my actions.
A significant portion of their proceeds is donated to charity.
With the assistance of OUR, a wealthy individual may change their living room into a personal situation room for the day.
Many contributors are moved by the drama, as well as a genuine desire to save children, regardless of whether or not the information provided is correct or not.
Unfortunately, the show was never picked up by a television network.
I continued and uploaded it on the channel’s YouTube page as a result.
In the video, you can see the scared maid as she opens the door to an armed guy, me laying on the floor while police officers pacify the area around me, and Ballard winks at the camera.
During the raid, the author was found unconscious on the floor.
Two of the youngsters had been trafficked for the first time that day, according to the information I was given at the time.
As a result of the sting, I inquired with members of a nearby jump team about the whereabouts of the 26 children.
According to what I was informed, aftercare was not their primary emphasis, but they associated with organizations who were excellent at providing care.
Within a week, they were out on the streets.
Others were lost in the local organization’s jumble.
It is not a punch-and-pow war between good and evil when it comes to anti-trafficking efforts.
In other words, it means actively working to create a society in which children are trafficked less and less frequently – the ongoing labor of prevention.
Anti-trafficking efforts are aimed at offering assistance to homosexual and trans children who have been driven out of their homes and are consequently at increased risk of being targeted for exploitation.
It is the act of developing and voting for policies that offer a safety net and economic predictability for all citizens.
It progresses at a leisurely pace.
Although it has been seven years since my assignment with them, Operation Underground Railroad has remained true to its narrative.
“The real heroes are you, our supporters, those of you who have allowed us to shine your light into the darkest corners of the world.
His novel, Slave Stealers, is being turned into a television program, which will air later this year.
Ballard is played by Jim Caviezel, while his wife Mira Sorvino appears in the film as Ballard.
An image of a brightly lit Ballard house comes across the screen, offering a stark contrast to the gloomy Colombian interiors.
On the screen, Caviezel sobs righteous tears, as scared boys and girls’ faces, frequently covered in mud, take center stage. The screen Ballard is addressed in Spanish by a tearful small kid who requests, “Mister Timoteo.” In which case, “You are a child rescuer, correct?”
Anti-human trafficking group Operation Underground Railroad under criminal investigation by Utah prosecutor
SALT LAKE CITY — The city of Salt Lake City is home to the Utah Jazz. A prosecutor in Utah is looking into Operation Underground Railroad, which is one of the most well-known groups dedicated to preventing human trafficking. In a brief statement to FOX 13, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings stated that an inquiry is underway. In response, Rawlings stated that “issues have been received, and we are currently evaluating those complaints.” In addition, Rawlings’ office declined FOX 13’s request for records pertaining to the investigation.
Rawlings, in recent posts to his Instagram account, claimed that a local group was engaging in unlawful fundraising activities by claiming credit for arrests made by the Davis County Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, a claim that was later refuted.
“Please be cautious of any individual, company, or group who solicits your money and may be claiming credit for work to safeguard children that is really done by our task force and/or other law-enforcement entities in Utah and throughout the world,” Rawlings said on Instagram.
Their involvement in any of the arrests and successful prosecutions that are on display in the Davis County Attorney’s Office on the “Wall of Shame” is complete and utter nonsense.” When discussing charitable solicitation in another piece, Rawlings claimed that some witnesses have been hampered by nondisclosure agreements, which are commonly referred to as “NDAs.” In its original form, that post stated: “Additional witnesses: Do not be frightened of their NDA; they will not be able to successfully sue you for collaborating truthfully with police authorities.” It’s important to remember that just because someone claims to be called by God while begging for your money does not always indicate that they are.
- Rawlings concluded his tweet with the hashtags “fraud scam crime” and “fraud scam crime.” Rawlings later posted a copy of Utah’s legislation regarding communication fraud and witness tampering, which he included in his original post.
- It was announced in a statement that “I met with the Davis County Attorney today and was advised that there is no investigation into Operation Underground Railroad (O.U.R.).” The statement was issued by the organization’s general attorney, Adam Becker.
- did not respond to a request for comment.
- also maintains operations in Anaheim, California.
- Tim Ballard, the founder of O.U.R., is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a former agent with the Central Intelligence Agency and the United States Department of Homeland Security.
- In 2014, Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes joined the Office of the United States Attorney in a sting operation in Colombia.
advisory board, according to campaign filings, Reyes has listed himself as such.
On Tuesday, Reyes was presented with a certificate from the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).
According to later statements, an attorney general’s office spokeswoman was not aware of any criminal investigations and would not comment even if he were aware of such investigations.
Ballards appeared with President Donald Trump in 2019 and claimed that building a wall along the Mexican border would aid in the fight against sex trafficking.
According to Ballard, who described one sting operation in 2014, “they’re selling these kids to you like they’re selling you a vehicle or a computer.” ‘They brought five 11-year-olds to our party, including one small kid who was 11 years old, who were being presented as virgins for a premium, and you had to pay a premium for that.’ “That’s a $1,000 investment.” On October 2, O.U.R.
The amount of money raised by O.U.R.
Revenues for the nonprofit were $6.9 million in 2016, according to the organization’s annual disclosures to the Internal Revenue Service.
The revenues of O.U.R. increased by $22.3 million in 2019. 2020 Scripps Media, Inc. copyright protection All intellectual property rights are retained. This information may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written permission of the author.
Sign up for theBreaking News Newsletterand receive up to date information.
The purpose of the nonprofit organization serves as proof of strategic thinking on the part of the organization. As a result of shining a light on the global problem of child sex trafficking, we want to rescue children from slavery and aid law enforcement in prosecuting those who engage in this criminal activity. Children who have been rescued are placed in safe havens that provide adequate healing aftercare. Responses from non-profit organizations were the source.
The nonprofit organization demonstrates strategic thinking by stating the organization’s vision, which serves as proof of its effectiveness. The society we envision by the year 2035 is one where no offender would dare to enter the trade because the ramifications would be so severe that the danger outweighed any potential reward, and where every responsible government and individual works to protect the most vulnerable. Responses from non-profit organizations were the source.
By providing their most critical strategic goals, the nonprofit organization demonstrates their ability to think strategically and create goals for themselves and others. Goal One: Raise awareness of child sex trafficking and disseminate information to aid in the prevention of child sex trafficking. To accomplish so, we must increase our visibility and the size of the movement supporting us. Goal Type: To grow, extend, scale, or enhance access to existing programs and services, as well as to develop new ones.
Our dedication to further our advocacy efforts for our organization and/or cause area is shown in our aim, which is of the type: 3) Save even more women and children who are victims of human trafficking by raising more funding and conducting more rescue missions.
Responses from non-profit organizations were the source.
The non-profit organization gives proof of its commitment to leadership advancement.
Describe an investment in leadership
We are completely dedicated to assisting our staff in their professional and leadership development. All workers have access to online management and leadership courses provided by the organization that cover a wide range of topics to assist them in their professional development. We have also performed research over the previous 12 months to discover advanced degree training programs for employees of one department who are on the front lines dealing with the folks we are attempting to safeguard.
They are now recognized as leaders in the anti-trafficking area, and they have the professional and educational backgrounds to back up that claim.
We also provide assistance to those who need to keep their certifications in their various fields of expertise. Responses from non-profit organizations were the source.
Mobilizing for Mission
The organization demonstrates its ability to lead by concentrating on the outside world and mobilizing resources to accomplish its objective.
This organization mobilizes for mission in the following ways:
- Strategy, partnerships, networks of collective impact efforts, thought leadership, public awareness raising, community building, and policy advocacy are all examples of what we do.
What are this organization’s external mobilizaton efforts?
We actively collaborate with schools, parents, and other organizations in order to raise awareness about sex trafficking and exploitation and to prevent it from occurring. Marketing efforts are also concentrated on the overall efforts of O.U.R. and raising awareness through various channels such as email, SMS, social media, and more. Additionally, O.U.R. has established ties with public and nonprofit organizations with which we collaborate to provide services and resources to aid in the prevention and rescue of victims.
Story of Adaptability
With this occasion, the nonprofit may share how it has responded to enormous external changes over the course of the last year. Operation Underground Railroad was able to swiftly adjust to changes in the year 2020 and move its focus to greater awareness and preventive initiatives as a result of the developments. The reduction in travel also resulted in a reduction in some of our rescue missions, but it allowed us to contribute to the development of our ESD K-9 program and other programs with other organizations and nonprofits with which we have established working connections.
Responses from non-profit organizations were the source.
Fox Pest Control Raises $10,000 for Operation Underground Railroad
ALBIA, Iowa (KFOR) – Firm leadership responsibilities at Kness Pest Defense are being transitioned, according to the company. Kathy Kness-Wauson, president of Kness Pest Defense for 34 years, formally retired on July 30th from her day-to-day operating responsibilities as a result of her retirement. Dan Crew, the company’s general manager, was appointed by the board of directors to handle the company’s operations, which took effect the same day. This is the first time in the company’s 96-year existence that someone other than a Kness family member has been appointed as the company’s president and chief executive officer.
- “The company’s day-to-day operations will continue to be directed by someone who shares the company’s Midwest values and dedication to quality, which have catapulted Kness to the top of the pest control industry leaderboard.
- Her years of expertise and experience in the sector will be invaluable as Kness Pest Defense embarks on its next phase of growth.
- “It is a wonderful privilege and honor to have been chosen to assume responsibility for the day-to-day operations,” Dan Crew remarked.
- “We are ecstatic to have Dan as a member of the team,” Kness-Wauson said further.
- While working at Kness Pest Defense, Crew brings 31 years of manufacturing expertise to the table as well as a new perspective on the pest control industry’s requirements.
- Most notably, he has experience with lean manufacturing methodologies, having earned his Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification.
- To ensure a healthy and productive future in the pest control sector, Kness Pest Defense is in the hands of experienced professionals.
- A third-generation Kness family member, she was charged with overseeing the company’s operations.
- Kness-Wauson and her team were instrumental in bringing hundreds of new and innovative pest control products to the market, both domestically and abroad, after being appointed to the head in 1986.
For more information about Kness Pest Defense, please see their website.
Operation Underground Railroad
For more than a decade, Tim Ballard, a former CIA agent and Homeland Security operator from Utah, has been trying to prevent and disrupt child trafficking both locally and abroad. His enthusiasm for this effort prompted him to establish a new organization to address the global problem that he saw as a priority. Ballard founded the non-profit organization Operation Underground Railroad in order to combat human trafficking (OUR). OUR relies on a network of retired military officers, medics, nurses, police officials, and others to release children who have been coerced into the sex trade on a direct basis.
- Despite the standard critiques that surround all raid-based programs, Ballard and his team stand by their objective, emphasizing that these children are in desperate, forced situations and that releasing them is the best option for them.
- Raid and rescue type intervention programs receive a lot of media attention, and the program has taken advantage of that attention and twisted it even more.
- As a result, the group is in the process of finalizing an agreement for a television program accompaniment.
- The program’s entertainment component has proven to be a significant source of money, to say the least.
- The program is funded entirely by donations.
- In spite of OUR’s widespread popularity, several analysts are concerned about the organization’s strong Mormon roots, its entertainment component, and its raid-style strategy.
- The entertainment component, as well as the group’s efforts to give back to contributors in the form of live raid video access, raises concerns about the group’s ethical practices.
- When there is the possibility of a television program, the raids take on a more cinematic tone and are less focused on the details of real-life situations, making the very real crisis appear far away and even imaginary.
- Many people are concerned that they are not doing enough to assist the youngster in recovering and achieving success after being released.
- As for those who are forced, because the program is geared for minors, many of them acquire drug addictions while on the job, which leads them back to the practice after they have been released.
For the time being, the program is focusing on building software that will identify computers that contain child pornographic content, particularly those that belong to tourists in locations where the sex trade is prevalent, in order to approach the problem from a different perspective as well.
In terms of entertainment, the program represents an innovative new strategy that appears to be successful in the short term while posing certain risks in the long run, according to the authors.
It is an excellent illustration of how small-scale activities may grow into larger operations by increasing awareness, and how non-profit groups can frequently sidestep the limits that are inescapable for their government-sponsored counterparts.
–Emma Dowd et al. Foreign Policy, Maxim, and OUR are some of the sources. Photo courtesy of The Florida Villager